I. ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The role of the IO3C is:
To promote research in atmospheric ozone-related issues as well as application of that research to practical problems. This role is part of the broad charter of IAMAS concerning the composition and changes of the earth-atmosphere system. It is performed in co-operation with all the IAMAS Commissions and with other appropriate bodies, as necessary.
Topics of concern to the IO3C include:
- the global budget of atmospheric ozone including production, destruction and distribution of ozone and related species at various temporal and spatial scales,
- the climatic impact of ozone changes and related species,
- the development of methods for direct and remote measurements of ozone and related species in the atmosphere and for the determination of their physical, chemical, spectral and radiative properties,
- the development of simulation models including photochemical, dynamical and radiative processes and climatic impact of atmospheric ozone,
- the anthropogenic impact on the atmospheric ozone budget.
The responsibilities of the IO3C are as follows:
- a) To provide a forum to the international community of ozone researchers for the exchange of relevant ideas and results, and to promote international co-operation,
b) To assess, summarise and publish, as necessary, the status of, and the requirements for, measurement and research in any particular aspect of atmospheric ozone, based on specific studies performed by appropriate ad-hoc working groups,
c) To organize the Quadrennial Ozone Symposium.
- a) To address other scientific and/or intergovernmental bodies on matters referring to atmospheric ozone,
b) To develop formal recommendations for the promotion of particular aspects of ozone studies, as and when necessary,
c) To collaborate and join with other scientific bodies for the promotion of atmospheric ozone studies.
- a) To stimulate improvement in the calibration and measurement standards of instruments in use for atmospheric ozone and related species measurements,
b) To promote and encourage the development of new and more accurate instruments for the measurement of atmospheric ozone and related species,
c) To participate in the development of Global Ozone Observing Systems and to promote the timely exchange of data
II. COMPOSITION OF THE IO3C
- Members of the IO3C are elected on the basis of their active participation in, and contribution to, ozone related research as defined by the IO3C charter. Election of members takes place at the IO3C meeting held usually during the Quadrennial Ozone Symposium. During the year preceding the elections, the IO3C members are urged to make proposals for new members keeping in mind the need for broad global representation. The Secretary of the Commission circulates a summary of all proposals two months before the meeting of the IO3C.
- The total number of members should not exceed thirty. Election of members is made by a majority of votes for a four-year term, renewable once.
- The IO3C Officers - President, Vice-President and Secretary - are elected among the most experienced members of the IO3C. The term of office is 4 years, renewable once.
- The past President is an ex-officio officer of the IO3C. Election to the Vice Presidency does not imply necessarily access to the Presidency.
- When any of the Officers reaches the end of his term of office or resigns, a small Nomination Committee is set up among the current, honorary and/or past members of the IO3C to solicit and make proposals for further election. The Secretary circulates all proposals before the meeting of the IO3C.
- Honorary membership is awarded to individuals for their outstanding contribution to ozone-related research. It does not require previous membership in the IO3C. Propositions for honorary membership are made by the IO3C members to the Officers prior to the IO3C meeting. Election to honorary membership requires two thirds of all members votes.
- The IO3C shall convene, at least every four years, during the Quadrennial Ozone Symposium. Additional meetings (e.g. at IAMAS Assembly) can be convened by the Executive or on request of a majority of IOC members.
- The IO3C forms a quorum if at least two thirds of the members are present.
III. ORGANIZATION AND ROLE OF THE IO3C OFFICERS
- The President, Vice-President, Secretary and Past President of the IO3C constitute the Executive Committee which carries out all the customary functions of the IO3C in furthering the goals and fulfilling the responsibilities of the IO3C as described in the IO3C charter. The Executive Committee is responsible for bringing all appropriate matters before the full IO3C for consideration.
- The President of the IO3C is the Chairman of the Executive Committee and he/she, or a representative designated by the Executive Committee - usually the Secretary, represents the IO3C on all official communications and functions. In case of resignation or long-term absence of the President, the Vice-President fulfils his role until the next meeting of the Commission.
- The Secretary maintains records of IO3C activities, assures timely communications among IO3C members, serves as the treasurer of the Commission and in concurrence with the other members of the Executive Committee serves as a point of contact with other scientific bodies.
- The Executive Committee provides an annual report to all IO3C members on significant recent and upcoming activities involving the Commission.
- The Officers may assume other specific responsibilities as agreed upon by the entire IO3C. All decisions submitted to the IO3C are decided by a majority vote.